I love this pictures of Wesley. It might be the first time you guys have seen him with his eyes open! Wesley is become more alert everyday. Yesterday when I held him he had his eyes open the whole time and was doing the funniest faces, it was such a special time.On another note we would love for you to continue to pray for Wesley. About a week ago on the 19th they did another brain scan. It showed that he had a mild case of hydrocephalus. (He has not had any new bleeds or blood since the one that they found at the very beginning. We have just been monitoring his head and seeing what this blood was going to do. ) Hydrocephalus is a fancy word for fluid on the brain. They have been measuring his head circumference since April 7th to see if it was swelling or expanding. His head had only grown at a normal rate and was doing good until April 22nd it grew 1cm and has continued to grow very fast over night which was a huge cause for concern. The blood that is in there is trying to get out but is clogged and not only being stuck in there but it is not letting spinal fluid through or absorbing it. Yesterday we walked in and talked to the doctor. He was nervous about his head growth and decided to go ahead and do a spinal tap to relieve some of the pressure. Wesley did great, they removed 7cc of spinal fluid and his head went down a quarter of a cm. We are now in a waiting pattern to see what will happen. The doctor explained that most babies in his case their head will continue to expand and then at 4-5 weeks it will level off and go down. Wesley turned 3 weeks old on Sunday the 26th. So they want to wait and see what he will do. In the mean time they might continue to do Spinal taps to relieve pressure until they see what exactly he his going to do. One encouraging thing is that on the ultrasound they can see the clot trying to break down and go away and they do believe that it will do that in time. There is a possibility that we hope does not happen, is that his head just continues to expand and does not level off at 4-5 weeks. He will then most likely need a shunt, but he is not big enough. He will have to be 5lbs for a shunt. So until then an neurologist will put a port in the top of his head that will act like a well and they will draw fluid straight from there.
This is all extremely scary and nerve racking for us. I think that it is because the doctor said that having this puts him at high risk for developmental problems along with just being a preemie. We will not know the effects this will have on him until 2,3,4,or 5 yrs. old. There is a chance that this spinal tap and maybe a couple more will do the trick and help him along. That is our prayer. They do not want to be doing spinal taps too frequently. Please pray that his head will not swell or expand anymore. That the clot and the blood will take care of itself and be reabsorbed into the body and that there would be no more pressure on the brain. Pray for healthy brain growth and not lasting or permanent effects from this. Pray that Greg and I would not worry, but would trust the great God that created and loves our little one. Thanks for caring for us and loving us. We can't wait to tell you what God is going to do!